Justice Summits are held at least once a year, by invitation of the Attorney General and Minister Responsible for Housing, to encourage innovation and facilitate collaboration across the sector. The Summit is a forum for frank discussion between justice sector leaders about how the system is performing and how it can be improved.
After each Summit, the Summit steering committee provides the Minister and judiciary with a report of proceedings, summarizing the discussions and (if applicable) recommendations made by participants. Each report is made public upon submission to the Minister and judiciary.
A regular Justice Summit was one of the recommendations made by Geoffrey Cowper, Q.C., in his report A Criminal Justice System for the 21st Century: Final Report to the Minister of Justice and Attorney General (PDF) which was delivered to government in August 2012. Government committed to this in White Paper on Justice Reform – Part 1: A Modern, Transparent Justice System (PDF) released Oct. 22, 2012, and included Justice Summits in the Justice Reform and Transparency Act (JRTA) passed in the spring 2013.
Reports of Proceedings
- Thirteenth Summit | Diversion and Alternatives to Short-Term Incarceration (PDF) | March 22, 2020
- Twelfth Summit | The Summits, Justice Reform and Assessing Progress (PDF) | April 26, 2019
- Eleventh Summit | Indigenous Justice (PDF) | November 2 – 3, 2018
- Tenth Summit | Indigenous Justice (PDF) | May 31 – June 2, 2018
- Ninth Summit | Justice and Technology II (PDF) | November 24, 2017
- Eighth Summit | Justice and Technology (PDF) | June 23-24, 2017
- Seventh Summit | Justice, Mental Health and Substance Use: Part II (PDF) | November 25, 2016
- Sixth Summit | Justice, Mental Health and Substance Use: Part 1 (PDF) | June 10-11, 2016
- Fifth Summit | Next Steps in Sector Innovation (PDF) | November 6-7, 2015
- Fourth Summit | Better Responses to Violence Against Women (PDF) | November 28-29, 2014
- Third Summit | Family Justice (PDF) | May 4-5, 2014
- Second Summit | Criminal Justice (PDF) | November 8-9, 2013
- Inaugural Summit | Criminal Justice (PDF) | March 15-16, 2013